Tuesday, March 31, 2009

What freedom means to me...

Ok-


So before i go off to die at the gym i just wanted to post about something that really impressed me today. I was at the middle school today for one of my classes, same thing every Tuesday i go for an hour yadayadayada. Anyways, today for one of their journal entries their teacher read them a story about this statue & picture


The story behind the statue is right here : http://www.snopes.com/military/sixboys.asp I encourage EVERYONE to read that story! And also for this to make sense you should read it.
I had never really known the whole story behind this statue. I mean of course i knew what it stood for, was our freedom, and world war II. I was blessed to have two grandpa's that served in World War II. I have always been amazed by the stories that my Papa Arvil would tell me. He had written a book about his experience and was always so proud of it. I grew up knowing that living in America was a blessing and a gift. I have always had pride for my country. My Ggpa was injured while in training but i still see it as in the service of his country. I just cant even begin to tell you how grateful I am for this country and to all the men and women past and present that serve our country for OUR freedom! Ever since going to Girls State I cant hear the Anthem without getting tears in my eyes. Hearing the story about those boys just makes me even more grateful. In the class there was a aid that had a 18 year old son that just went to Afghanistan. Like him those men in that statue were boys. So, after the teacher had talked about the story she asked all the students to write what freedom meant to them. So, i did one too. Here it is:

What Freedom means to me:

Freedom means living in a country where men and women give and gave their lives so that I can Worship freely, live happily, smile big, laugh loud and love much. It means great, amazing people risk their lives everyday for me, you, and everyone. It means being able to wake up every morning knowing I'm free. Freedom however is not free, its something we should not take for granite. You should not laugh or criticize it, its been given to us at a high price. I'm so grateful for this country to be free and most of all I'm grateful to all the young and old men and women that have lived and died for this country, and for my freedom.

I also want to give a thank you to my Papa Arvil, My Ggpa, all my Papa Arvils brothers, and so many more of my family that served.


If anyone else has anything that they want to add, please feel free to comment
-Kaylie

No comments: